Monday, November 17, 2008

Attention everyone: I am a bad Catholic

I voted for Obama, and I'm not repenting! Granted, I have not received communion since the election, but I know Mom is going to make me come to church over winter break. I don't plan on repenting before then though. Goodness! I didn't know being a good Catholic was so hard. Man, I wish there were guidelines for how to be a good Catholic, or even a good Christian in general. Oh, wait! There are!

I am the Lord your God, you shall have no other Gods before me. (Check)

Do not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. (Okay, I have been known to say goddamit on occasion, but I've been working on it.)

Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. (Check. I don't frequent church, but I pray on my own.)

Honor your father and mother. (Check)

You shall not kill. (Check. But let's go back to this one in a bit, okay?)

You shall not commit adultery. (Check.)

You shall not steal. (Check. Heck, I don't even download songs illegally.)

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. (Okay, I'm a little iffy on this one. I only lie for entertainment, not to deceive. Think of it as telling parables, not lies.)

You shall not covet your neighbors wife. (Check. )

You shall not covet your neighbors goods. (I try, but the newspaper just got a totally sweet new computer setup.)

Now, to go back to commandment V up there, apparently being pro-choice counts as a strike. But American voters were pretty much screwed on that one, across the board. Can you find me a candidate that was anti-abortion, anti-death penalty, and anti-war?

How about one that fulfills all those requirements, and is pro-social security and welfare? Someone famous once said "Love one another, as I have loved you." and "Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor." and who could forget "when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

Who was that? Oh, yeah, Jesus. (John 15:12, Luke 18:22, Luke 14:7-14, for those reading along at home.)

My point is, take any of the candidates, Dem, GOP, Green, Libertarian, ect. and you can find bible verses supporting them, or condemning them. (Look in Leviticus if you're having trouble, there are some doozies in there.) In the end, it is not for the Church (any church) to decide that a dedication to public welfare (which would save lives) is worse than and anti-abortion platform (which would do the same.)

No comments: