Thursday, January 15, 2009

One year ago...

I received a thin cardboard envelope in the mail, with the news that I had been selected as one of the Free Spirits 2008.

I set up a facebook group about three hours later.

Today, I got a message from the male Free Spirit from Delaware, asking about the conference. I can no longer remember the whole trip, but so much came rushing back. Crosswords on bus 2, WWII monument in the rain, Betty Baye- "In the dark, he looks like Denzel Washington, turn the light on and he's Flava Flav!", Matt Rist- "I look like Denzel Washington in the dark.", shaking Tim Russert's hand, the Gala, dancing on the boat until the lights downstairs flickered, "Giant Panda", ME Katie and I putting the green team ahead, only to lose every round after, accents, and finally realizing that I was so over high school.

A lot has changed in a year, but the Free Spirit conference cemented one thing in my head: Free Spirits will change the world.

4 comments:

Kelley said...

Ugh that's kind of heartbreaking. They've chosen our replacements.

Anonymous said...

We are no longer the latest Free Spiriters. It really is sad.

Elaine Washam: said...

It is really sad. But a cool thing for me is that my successor at my old high school paper is a free spirit this year. I'm excited for him.

Adrianna said...

Awww I love this!! I miss it so so much. We will forever be the best free spirits around. I'll fight anyone who argues.

So many memories, so much love. I will never forget.

I really want to know who the Arizona recipients are!